Wednesday, August 1, 2007

The Darkness


Developer: Starbreeze Studios
Publisher: 2K Games
Released on: June 25, 2007
System Xbox 360, Playstation 3
ESRB Rating: Mature
Review based on: Demo downloaded from Xbox Live.
Official Site

The Scoop: "Sopranos" meets "The Exorcist". Based on the comic book that I didn't bother to read.

Hitting Start...
  • A cutscene introduces my character: I'm Jackie, I'm Italian, and I'm a mobster. There's one racial stereotype that just won't die.
  • I'm in the backseat of a car driven by two of my "crew" who yak on and on about something I should be paying attention to (but I'm not). Just shut-up and give me my damn Darkness powers already!
  • "COPS!" Wha~! Where!? I can't turn around and look behind me! Is my character in a neck-brace or something?
  • I'm given a shotgun and told to use it. On what? Oncoming semi-trucks? I don't think that will get them out of our way.
  • The high-speed chase ends with our car being flipped. I get the same result every time I let the wife drive.
  • The demo skips ahead to level 3 (I think), a graveyard. I still don't have any Darkness powers yet, but at least I have a couple of gats! (That's what the kids call them, right?)
  • Attacked by hitmen—a lot of hitmen! I go down in a blaze of gunfire. Now, Darkness powers! Unleash your anger and avenge me!
  • Nope, no such luck; I'm just respawned back to the beginning of the level. :(
  • Hitmen attack again! Damn; Jackie aims like he's in the middle of schizophrenic fit! I go down again in a blaze of gunfire. It's not me; it's the controls!
  • New strategy: charge the hitmen with both guns blazing. It works! Bah, taking cover is for wimps!
  • Tip to remember: you can change weapons with the D-Pad. I imagine the shotgun is more effective at shooting fleshy targets, as opposed to the four-wheeled variety.
  • I somehow jerk-walk my way into a bathroom that is home to a bum. "This place smells like Satan's bunghole!" proclaims the bum. Heh, heh; I'll have to use that at the next office Christmas party.
  • I make my way back to the graveyard only to find more hitmen waiting for me. But what's this? Darkness powers unleashed! Finally!
  • So now I have demon-snakes growing out of me. "Consume the darkness to recharge your powers". What the hell is that supposed to mean?
  • Okay, I'm an idiot. "Consume the darkness" literally means stand in the shadows and your snakes will eat the darkness. Yeah, I know; it sounds dumb even as I type it.
  • I'm supposed to guide my snake through a grate so it can kill a guy in another room. Sounds cool...if only I could control my snake! (There's a joke in there somewhere.)
  • "Press A to devour heart". Sure, why not? It worked for my last girlfriend. Ba-zing!
  • My snakes are now eating hearts with reckless abandon. But for what purpose? I know not. But according to a pop-up counter, I have consumed 37.
  • I wasn't paying attention, but somehow I can summon demons that will attack my enemies. I really should get checked for Attention Deficit Disorder.
  • Okay, I figured it out. Arise demons, and attack!
  • I find the sight of my demon sawing off the head of my enemies with a hacksaw both disgusting and compelling at the same time.
  • More enemies! Demons attack!...I said attack! What the hell—where'd they go? These things part of a Union or something?
  • Killing these enemies is starting to get monotonous, and my Darkness powers aren't the impressive "force to be reckoned with" that I thought they would be. Not to mention the stiff controls—I wonder if the retail game is this bad....
...and I'm quitting!

Am I impressed? Not really.
How come? Poor controls, washed-out graphics, and a story that I did not find very compelling, no matter how many hearts I ate.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I haven't tried the retail version yet either but I want to. I downloaded and tried the demo and honestly I liked it enough that I want to try out the retail verison

Unknown said...

Yeah, I don't know what happened. I was really looking forward to playing this, but when I sat down to do so, it just kind have felt "bleh". The controls really did it for me—really seemed bad.

---CaptNink

Anonymous said...

I rented the retail version and it was damn good. I disagree about the controls too - thought they were fine.
Not worth a purchase, but definately worth the week rental it took to get through and the campaign on normal. Didn't even try multiplayer, so no comment there.

Anonymous said...

I rented the retail version and thought the game was as lousey as the demo. The controls are awful, the graphics are not 'next gen'. The multiplayer might as well not be an option due to extreme lag.