Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Titan Quest: Immortal Throne




Developer: Iron Lore Entertainment
Publisher: THQ
Released on: 03/02/07
System PC
ESRB Rating: TEEN
Review based on: Full version of Titan Quest with the Immortal Throne expansion recently released on STEAM
Official Website
The Scoop: Diablo meets Greek mythology in this new twist on a classic idea.


Hitting Start...

  • My character is standing at a dock in a classic Diablo top down view. Heh, He's wearing a toga.
  • Tutorial tips are popping up in the corner. Very helpful.
  • Click mouse on open land, walk to location clicked, rinse and repeat. Seems simple enough.
  • Hey there's a guy standing next to a shack with a yellow exclamation point over his head. I've played enough World Of Warcraft to know what that means.
  • Just as I thought. He's got a quest for me. Seems his horse is about to be attacked by monsters. Guess I better help him out. He's the only other guy around after all. Who's going to tell me where to go next if I don't.
  • I click my character though a field. There are lots of really nice graphical touches from the lighting to the long grass being pushed aside as you run though it.
  • Sure enough there's the horse. Being attacked by a couple of monsters. I click and hold the left mouse button on the monsters and my little Greek dude goes to work . This guy is a bad ass. Two on one and he doesn't even bat an eyelash.
  • The horse is saved and I make my way back to the guy at the shack. No reward but the tells me there are more people in the village down the road that need help. Shocking!
  • Once in the village I load up on quests and head back into the wilderness to click my way though Greek mythology.
This is going to be fun...


Am I impressed? Yes.
How come? Even though it's not, this is the follow up to Diablo I've been waiting for. I know it's cheap to compare a game to an older one and not on it's own merits but it's hard not to with Titan Quest. It doesn't really do anything new but the things it does, it does perfectly. It's the type of game that you just want to keep going and going to see whats next even though it never really strays from the formula put in place from the first level to the last.
There's tons of loot to pick up along the way and you'll constantly be swapping out your gear for something bigger and better. (once you realize you have to hold down the "x" key to see all the loot the baddies dropped)
Titan Quest hooked me early and didn't let go. Hours and hours in now I'm still clicking my way just to get to the next boss battle or town. Only to leave and do it all over again. If you enjoyed the Diablo games or are just looking for a nice RPG on your PC definitely check it out.

No comments: